On Monday four of our Cadets were lucky enough to travel to RAF Woodvale for Air Experience Flights over the Southport and Blackpool area.
Each Cadet had a 20 minute sortie in the Grob Tutor with some of them experiencing Aerobatics for the first time.
At the end of the day all 4 Cadets were awarded their Blue Wings
The Blue ATP builds on Air Cadet Aviation and Familiarisation Course (FAM) and introduces
further aeronautical concepts including:
• The primary and further effects of controls.
• Lift vectors.
• Airfield procedures and discipline.
Training is in 3 parts:
• Ground school element.
• Part Task Trainer (PTT) element.
• Airborne sortie(s) to consolidate what you have learnt
Grob 115 Tutor
The Tutor is ideally simple to fly, yet also sufficiently demanding to be a fine elementary trainer. Its side-by-side seating arrangement maximises instructor/student interaction in the air, while its large cockpit canopy provides an excellent outside view for circuit flying.
- Powerplant: one 180hp Textron Lycoming AE-360-B piston engine
- Length: 24ft 9in (7.54m)
- Height overall: 9ft 3in (2.82m)
- Wingspan: 32ft 9¾in (10m)
- Wing area: 131.40sqft (12.21m2)
- Maximum take-off weight: 2,182lb (990kg)
- Never exceed speed: 185kt (343km/h)
- Maximum rate of climb at sea level: 909ft/min (277m/min)
- Range at 75% power with 45-minute reserves at 4,000ft: 446nm (826km)
- Maximum altitude: 10,000ft